Proposed Phase II activities aim to achieve the following targets by the end of the second phase:
- 16 hours daily supply of potable water and minimum residual pressure head will be 10 meter.
- Quality of water at consumers tap end will be of WHO Guideline. (Nepal Standard)*
- Very low water borne diseases.
- Reasonable water prices.
- Minimum extraction of ground water.
- Access to sewerage to 90% households.
- Reduced pollution in Bagmati, Tukucha and Bishnumati.
The following activities will be carried out in Phase II to achieve the above mentioned targets:
- Implementation of Yangri Diversion Project.
- Reduction of leakage and wastage to an internationally acceptable limit
- Rehabilitation of all of the existing production and distribution systems will be completed;
- Use of shallow acquifer for drinking purpose will be discouraged
- Quality of supplied water at consumers end will be of international standard
- Water prices will be determined at reasonable level with subsidy provision for disadvantaged group
- Modern water supply technology and management will be applied as much as possible.
- New connection, water bill payment and complaints registration will be made available by telephone and internet systems.
- Necessary sewerage treatment plants and sewerage systems will be constructed to give access to sewerage for 90% of consumers.
- All of the rivers flowing in the cities of Kathmandu and Lalitpur will be kept free from raw sewerage discharge.
- Onsite sanitation specially for schools, barracks, hospitals and in the area not covered by sewerage systems will be encouraged.
- Full cost of sewerage system will be recovered from the polluters.